Thursday, November 18, 2010

Family Photographs are a Treasure Chest

When a loved one dies, many people's thoughts turn to possessions: "I wonder what I'll get in the will?" "I should try to get a hold of those dishes before someone else takes them", etc. I've always thought, though, that the very best treasure you could inherit from your family are photographs.

I went onto eBay a couple of months ago and was able to locate, with relatively little problem, several heirlooms similar to ones my parent currently own, including dishes, clocks and furniture. But you know, I didn't find one family photograph. Now, that's not to say that you can't purchase photographs from estate sales or on-line auctions sites. You can. However, you will have a difficult time finding a photograph of your great-grandmother or third cousin, once removed. Barring some miraculous discovery, you will only be able to see photographs like that from other family members.

Through my work on-line and through networking with other distant family members, I have been able to find photographs of relatives we never even knew existed. And the best part, for me, is when you can see a family resemblence. It seems that the relative in the photograph is speaking to me, despite oceans of time dividing us. I feel an immediate connection to that person, although we have never met.

I have included in this post some of the photographs I have found either on-line, or through networking with other family members. Look for family resemblences. I know you will find them.

 
My husband's great-grandfather on his father's side, Homer Otto Hevron.
L to R (front row) Homer Otto, Ollie Mae Nelson, Wilma Clarice Hevron,
Margie Lee Hevron, ???, Aston Earl Hevron
L to R (back row) ???, Homer Lewis Hevron


Rufus Edward Spradlin, my husband's great-grand uncle
on his mother's side. Rufus was born in Virginia in 1878
and died in California in 1955.

Louisa Simpson, my husband's great-great-grandmother
on his father's side. She was born in Arkansas in 1840
and died in Texas in 1900.

Mary Fannie Emma Spradlin, my husband's grand-aunt
on his mother's side, and her husband Price Allen St. Clair.
Mary was born in Virginia in 1871 and died in Texas in 1942.

Massey Capps Atkins and Harriet Ann Pigler family. Massey is my husband's
great-great-grand uncle on his father's side. This photograph was taken in
Spartanburg County, South Carolina.

Jan Mathijs Hamer was my father's great-great-grandfather.
He was born in the Netherlands in 1849 and immigrated
to the U.S. when he was 16. He died in North Dakota in
1932.

1 comment:

  1. Melanie, I completely agree with you. My family photographs are my most treasured possessions.

    I look forward to reading your blog! Welcome to the community! :)

    ReplyDelete